Use this free checklist to prepare for your upcoming move.
8-12 weeks before your move
- If applicable, call your real estate agent to place your home on the market.
- Select a few moving dates that would fit into your schedule.
- Research the following information online about your new community:
- Study the school districts to find the best fit for your children.
- Contact the local city hall and request free reports about the city or town.
- Compare new and old living costs using a salary and mortgage calculator.
- Cut down on your moving costs by giving away any unwanted items or selling them in a garage sale.
- Schedule a meeting with your employer, if applicable, to discuss what moving costs the company will pay. Determine if your employer will pay the full amount of the move directly, or give you a lump sum or reimbursement for the costs.
4-8 weeks before your move
- Call Morgan Moving & Storage and make an appointment for your free moving company quote.
- Finalize purchasing or renting details for your new home. Obtain financing, if applicable, and settle on closing dates.
- Create a list of people who need to know about your move.
- Visit your local post office to pick up change of address cards.
- Contact your children’s schools to get their records transferred to the appropriate places.
- Investigate the requirements for a driver’s license in your new state, if applicable.
- Double-check with the IRS or your accountant: what moving expenses are tax deductible?
- Talk to your insurance agent about coverage for your new home.
- Open accounts at a bank at your new location.
- Organize your medical and dental records.
3 weeks before your move
- Decide if you will pack yourself or hire a professional packing service to do the job for you.
- If you’re packing yourself, get started.
- Gather together all of your important personal documents in one secure place.
- Change your address for your credit cards, magazine subscriptions and so forth.
- Obtain a babysitter to take care of your children during moving day.
- Schedule to have your utilities disconnected the day AFTER you leave your old home.
- Schedule the utilities at your new location to be turned on the day BEFORE you move in.
2 weeks before your move
- Use the next two weeks to use up all perishable food items in your refrigerator and freezer.
- Thoroughly clean your home and empty out your basement and attic.
- Cancel your newspaper subscription and any other delivery services.
- Appropriately dispose of flammable items such as cleaning products, paints, aerosols and ammunition according to your local ordinances.
- Arrange the transfer of your prescriptions to your preferred pharmacy in your new city.
- Arrange the transfer of your bank accounts and clean out your safety deposit box.
- Double-check that you’ve packed everything you can.
- If you’ll be moving lawnmowersor other power tools, be sure to drain the gasoline and oil.
1 week before your move
- Verify your family’s travel arrangements.
- Furnish phone numbers to your moving agent in case you need to be contacted while traveling.
- Clean out your refrigerator, stove, dishwasher and so forth.
- Completely clean out all your appliances inside and out.
- Use the minimal amount of household items necessary before you move, such as sheets, towels and a few pans and dishes. Confirm that everything else is ready to be moved.
Moving day checklist
- Run through all paperwork one more time with your moving van driver.
- Be prepared to check off items as they are loaded on the van.
- Double-check that nothing was left behind in your old home.
- Make sure that children and/or pets aren’t in the way of movers.